Failson
Posted: 07 June 2017 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  297
Joined  2007-06-14

Salon has an elegant ring to it, so when I came across failson in that journal, I went hunting for a definition
and etymology.  Not too elegant, according to Rice University’s Neologism database:

noun; compoundingb
A son who is considered a social/professional failure; lives at home with his parents; used supposedly objectively but inherently derogatory. “At the Genius office, as people set up chairs on the floor below us, Menaker described the generic Chapo fan as a “failson”—which Biederman, who is twenty-six, defined as the guy that “goes downstairs at Thanksgiving, briefly mumbles, ‘Hi,’ everyone asks him how community college is going, he mumbles something about a 2.0 average, goes back upstairs with a loaf of bread and some peanut butter, and gets back to gaming and masturbating.”

The neologism “fail,” used as a noun (“That was such a fail.”) is paired with “son” to create a noun that can be applied to someone as defined above.
Etymology : compound of “fail” (itself a neologism, a clipping of the noun “failure”) and “son” (“descendant, male offspring”)
Source : The New Yorker online

Source: http://neologisms.rice.edu/index.php?a=term&d=1&t=20669

Here’s a snippet of Salon’s attention grabber.

Even for the Trump family, two big grifting stories in one day is a little much. But that is how it went for family failsons Eric Trump and Donald Trump Jr. on Tuesday

Source: http://www.salon.com/2017/06/07/trump-family-grift-is-getting-worse-eric-and-donald-jr-resurface-with-a-discount-hotel-scam/

Has anyone else come across failson in the wild?

Posted: 08 June 2017 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4492
Joined  2007-01-29

First I’ve heard of it.

Posted: 08 June 2017 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6300
Joined  2007-01-03

I was wondering if this one was particular to the Trumps, but it goes back to at least 2015. I don’t know how common failson is, but it’s a thing.

Posted: 08 June 2017 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3013
Joined  2007-01-30

Another new word to find room for. I wonder whether like Homer I’ll have to forget one to make space for it. If so I can think of several recent and inelegant candidates.

‹‹ Havard Dialect Survey      BL: satellite ››