Gets over, getting over
Posted: 12 August 2017 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2941
Joined  2007-01-30

Not in the usual sense but a sense used in Indian English. I was reading on an Indian website of the terrible tragedy in Uttar Pradesh, 30 children dying when oxygen supplies to the hospital were cut off for non-payment when my eye caught the following:

In a room, several big oxygen cylinders are kept from where the pipes or tubes are connected to the wards where patients are admitted. If the hospital’s piped oxygen gets over, it could make arrangements for these cylinders.

Sapale said the saturation levels of the patients will be affected if the oxygen delivery is disrupted. “There are so many alarms to know that the oxygen is getting over,” she said.

Bolding mine. It’s interesting as this usage is a perfectly logical development of the Standard English sense of over. Why should not something be getting over before it is actually over? I really must add Indian English to the long list of things I need to know more about, it’s such a fascinating part of English worldwide.

Just to add that I really feel bad sometimes when I’m reading a story of some terrible tragedy and while reading I’m taking note at the same time of any interesting usages in the language of the article or anomalies and solecisms in the English. As all of us here know it’s quite impossible to turn off that part of your brain which is interested in words no matter how upsetting the material you’re reading.

Also, as seen above, I’m taking a leaf from language hat’s book and I’ve stopped using the quote function, instead using italics to indicate quotes. It really is far less obtrusive and makes a post less cluttered and hence easier to read.

Posted: 13 August 2017 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6202
Joined  2007-01-03

The OED has this in get, v.:

1. intr. To succeed in coming or going over an elevation, barrier, or expanse; to bring oneself over.

a1500 (▸?c1450) Merlin (1899) x. 155 (MED) Kay..payned that his company gate ouer.
a1616 Shakespeare Henry IV, Pt. 2 (1623) i. i. 170 You knew he walk’d o’re perils, on an edge More likely to fall in, then to get o’re.
1677 W. Hubbard Narrative (1865) i. 89 Capt. Henchman..as soon as he could get over with six Files of Men..followed after the Enemy.
1705 tr. W. Bosman New Descr. Coast of Guinea xiv. 259 They [sc. Camelions] have also several times been sent to Europe, and got over alive.
1709 Tatler No. 86. ⁋4 Sir Giles got over; but a Run of the Coaches kept the rest of us on this Side the Street.
1802 W. Forsyth Treat. Fruit-trees xxiii. 219 An oak paling..with a cheval-de-frise at top, to prevent people’s getting over.
1881 G. A. Henty Cornet of Horse (1888) xiii. 134 Fascines had to be laid down, and the rivulets filled up, before guns could get over.
1932 A. J. Worrall Eng. Idioms 73 He was standing in the way, so I told him to get over.
1965 E. Bradford tr. F. Balbi Siege of Malta, 1565 viii. 106 Aware that our reinforcements had got over by way of Salvador, the Turks now took possession of the hill.
2003 Irish Times (Nexis) 18 June 63 None of my family could go to America; there was no way of getting over, probably too expensive.

There’s a parallel transitive sense too.

Posted: 13 August 2017 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4399
Joined  2007-01-29

But the OED has only the standard sense, which has nothing to do with the one aldi’s posting about ("get over” = “run out, come to an end").

Posted: 13 August 2017 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2626
Joined  2007-02-19

"getting over” may mean “running out” in Uttar Pradesh, but it definitely doesn’t where I am sitting. Obviously it’s a local idiom, perhaps translated from one of the many languages used in the sub-continent.  There may be regions of India where the expression sounds as odd as it does to me.