Rupe. 
Posted: 08 September 2017 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4491
Joined  2007-01-29

I’m reading Saul Bellow’s The Adventures of Augie March, which is full of juicy prewar Chicago slang, most of which I can look up or intuit, but this defeats me (for context, the brother caused trouble and spent the night in jail):

Gradually, talking, he lost view of his first aim, which was to comfort me, and he got so bitter he tried to curl his fists inward and breasted the desk. “Why should you care if your brother gets a rupe up the behind!” he said. “He deserves it. He left you in a hole, he sold the flat, he got the money out of me because of you and you didn’t smell a dime of it. If you were honest with yourself you’d be glad. You’d do yourself some good by saying so, and I’d respect you more for it.”

I can’t find “rupe” in any dictionaries, slang or regular, and it only seems to occur here.  Any ideas?  (For further context, the relevant chunk of the novel is online here.)

Posted: 08 September 2017 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6297
Joined  2007-01-03

Green’s has rupe as slang for penis, so that would fit. The earliest cite is 1966, so this would be an antedating.

Posted: 08 September 2017 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  731
Joined  2013-10-14

Green’s has rupe as slang for penis, so that would fit.

Depending on the size.

Posted: 09 September 2017 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4491
Joined  2007-01-29

Dave: Thanks, that’s perfect!  I checked an earlier dictionary of Green’s, but it wasn’t there.

Logophile: Ha!