Bread and butter pickles
Posted: 16 September 2017 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2007-02-13

A couple of weeks ago, a friend gave me some cucumbers from his garden and I made bread and butter pickles from them. Various internet sources say that the name “bread and butter” was coined during the great depression when people would eat this type of pickle in a sandwich because meat was expensive. I decided to test that claim for lunch. The story behind the etymology might be complete nonsense, but the sandwich didn’t turn out too bad.  :-)

Posted: 16 September 2017 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6270
Joined  2007-01-03

I haven’t found anything on bread and butter pickle specifically, but bread and butter referring to everyday, quotidian fare dates to the eighteenth century. More likely the name comes from their ordinariness.

Posted: 17 September 2017 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2007-02-24

Found this at Wikipedia:

“Bread-and-butter pickles are a marinated pickle produced with sliced cucumbers in a solution of vinegar, sugar and spices which may be either be processed by canning or simply chilled as refrigerator pickles. The origin of the name and the spread of their popularity in the United States is attributed to Omar and Cora Fanning, a pair of Illinois cucumber farmers who started selling sweet and sour pickles in the 1920s and filed for the trademark “Fanning’s Bread and Butter Pickles” in 1923 (though the recipe and similar ones are probably much older).[12] The story attached to the name is that the Fannings survived rough years by making the pickles with their surplus of undersized cucumbers and bartering them with their grocer for staples such as bread and butter.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickled_cucumber#cite_note-cook_Brea-13

I don’t know how true it is.

‹‹ Common      Google's tribute to Dr Johnson ››