Botifler
Posted: 30 September 2017 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3023
Joined  2007-01-30

From the Washington Post in a story on the Catalan unauthorised independence vote.

Even today, pro-independence Catalonians insult Spanish loyalists by calling them “botiflers,” or allies of Philip V.

Botifler? I’ve been trying to guess the Latin root so as to get an idea of the meaning but my efforts have proved fruitless although I have a nagging feeling that I’m missing something glaringly obvious. Any ideas?

Posted: 30 September 2017 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2654
Joined  2007-02-19

The word isn’t in the RAE’s dictionary: clearly it’s not a Spanish word. Larousse’s Catalan dictionary defines the word as “one who has fat cheeks”. Politically, it was originally used pejoratively in Catalonia against supporters of Philip V during the War of the Spanish Succession — supposedly this was a Bourbon trait, in the same way as a big chin was a Hapsburg trait.

(edited for greater accuracy)

[ Edited: 30 September 2017 11:49 AM by lionello ]

Posted: 30 September 2017 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2007-06-14

Here is a discussion of the hotly debated etymology, in Spanish.  Short form: uncertain.
Current meaning in Catalan: traitor.

https://www.elplural.com/politica/2017/09/11/que-significa-el-insulto-catalan-de-botifler

Posted: 01 October 2017 06:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4513
Joined  2007-01-29

The Diccionari català-valencià-balear says it’s from botinflat, past participle of botinflar ‘inflate excessively’: bot ‘wineskin’ + inflar ‘inflate.’ (There’s an idiom inflat com un bot ‘excessively inflated [lit. ‘inflated like a wineskin’].)

Incidentally, the rules of Catalan pronunciation are not obvious, so I’ll point out that botifler is /buti’fle/ (booty-FLAY); unstressed o is /u/ and final -r isn’t pronounced.

Posted: 01 October 2017 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3023
Joined  2007-01-30

Thanks for the instructive replies. The national memory of the Catalans is clearly as long as that of the Irish. I do prefer the wineskin + inflate etymology to the beauté fleur of cuchuflete’s linked article. And by the by kudos to Google Translate, it’s showing noticeable improvement.

‹‹ Caesarean section      To curry favour/favel ››