Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-11-04

This ought to be fun!

Posted: 06 November 2007 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1286
Joined  2007-03-21

1960s student slang according to etymology online.  Some sites suggest that it’s origin might be from being so drunk that your face is in or near a toilet.  I don’t think that can be assumed as fact, however.

Posted: 06 November 2007 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4787
Joined  2007-01-03

Cassell’s reports a 1930s usage of shitfaced meaning stupid or ignorant. No citations. Also a 1970s usage meaning complete or total, as in shitfaced drunk. So we may have a progression from “total idiot” to “total” to “totally drunk,” although I haven’t done enough research to be confident of this chain.

There is also the Briticism arseholed, also meaning drunk, which the OED dates to 1982. Partridge claims the phrase pissed as arseholes dates to the 1940s, but only provides evidence from 1961,

I think the “face in the toilet” explanation is reading a bit too much into it. Slang terms like this don’t need to make sense. The scatological reference is enough.

Posted: 06 November 2007 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  341
Joined  2007-02-17

Not to mention the British ‘rat-arsed’, which I always thought was a tad unfair to rats, not that I have any particular knowledge of that part of their anatomy. But then ‘pissed as a newt’ seems a slur on newts.

Posted: 06 November 2007 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1373
Joined  2007-01-29

And I wonder whether “rough as a bear’s arse” is a reflection on either the determination or proclivities of the sexually active ursine population.

Posted: 19 November 2007 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  127
Joined  2007-06-14
kurwamac - 06 November 2007 11:18 AM

Not to mention the British ‘rat-arsed’, which I always thought was a tad unfair to rats, not that I have any particular knowledge of that part of their anatomy. But then ‘pissed as a newt’ seems a slur on newts.

The 1960s student slang theory is sound.  I heard shitfaced often while in college, 1965-69.  It was often shortened to faced.

Speaking of rats, at the same college there was a common term for breaking into your own dormitory room when you had (got shitfaced and...)
lost your key: rat-fucking.  I have no idea where this came from, or how using a wire coat hanger or a plastic library card to force a door lock
was related to rats or to hyphenated sex.  In the case of the hanger, maybe it was somehow assumed that the shape of the object was similar to a rat’s equipment. On the other hand, as the economists like to say, it could have been the idea of intruding an object into a very tight space.

Posted: 20 November 2007 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4787
Joined  2007-01-03

Where did you go to school?

Ratfucking gained fame during the Watergate investigations. It was a University of Southern California slang term for pranks and dirty tricks played by College Republicans at the school. Donald Segretti and Dwight Chapin, both USC ‘63 grads, went on to work for the Nixon’s election campaigns and brought the term with them, where it was elevated to new heights (lows?) in political campaigning.

Posted: 20 November 2007 08:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07
Dave Wilton - 20 November 2007 07:17 AM

Where did you go to school?

Ratfucking gained fame during the Watergate investigations. It was a University of Southern California slang term for pranks and dirty tricks played by College Republicans at the school. Donald Segretti and Dwight Chapin, both USC ‘63 grads, went on to work for the Nixon’s election campaigns and brought the term with them, where it was elevated to new heights (lows?) in political campaigning.

The term was widespread slang in Southern California during that era and was often shortened to RF’d.

Posted: 20 November 2007 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  460
Joined  2007-10-20

I have some vague recollection from when I was a kid in San Diego in the sixties about a small controversy at the high school where my older brother went to. I think somebody came to school with a Levi jacket with a rat pictured on the back and “RF” under it. The defense was that it was supposed to mean “Rat Fink.” (The person was told not to wear the jacket.)

Posted: 20 November 2007 08:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  710
Joined  2007-02-07
Iron Pyrite - 20 November 2007 03:31 PM

I have some vague recollection from when I was a kid in San Diego in the sixties about a small controversy at the high school where my older brother went to. I think somebody came to school with a Levi jacket with a rat pictured on the back and “RF” under it. The defense was that it was supposed to mean “Rat Fink.” (The person was told not to wear the jacket.)

Rat Fink was a well known character created by Ed “Big Daddy” Roth and can be seen here:

rat_fink.gif

I was just wondering earlier if Rat Fink and rat fuck influenced each other. The official story is that Rat Fink was a sort of anti-Mickey.

‹‹ DUMBING DOWN      Holy Ghost ››