1 of 2
Ghosting
Posted: 09 October 2017 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  745
Joined  2013-10-14

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/ghosting-words-were-watching

These new words are popping up every day. Is this a recent phenomenon, because of social media and the internet? Some of these new words seem contrived.

Posted: 09 October 2017 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2007-02-24

I used to thing “texting” would be a short-lived word, but you never know. Hopefully this one dies a quick death.

Posted: 09 October 2017 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4513
Joined  2007-01-29

I don’t understand what the objection is.  It’s not some clumsy concatenation of syllables, it’s just a new use of a perfectly good word (ghost) to express a new phenomenon.

Posted: 09 October 2017 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6321
Joined  2007-01-03

It’s only “new” relative to the history of the language. Ghosting, by their own admission, has been around since 2004 in particular senses. It’s a perfectly good word, in common use (I see it all the time). I

Posted: 09 October 2017 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-10-14

I don’t understand what the objection is.  It’s not some clumsy concatenation of syllables, it’s just a new use of a perfectly good word (ghost) to express a new phenomenon.

I don’t find it objectionable, I just don’t find it necessary. I find it to be a trendy coinage, particularly since we have words such as, vanish or evanish, or disappear, which would express the same meanings.

By the way, it’s not a phenomenon; men and women have been doing this to each other for years.

Posted: 10 October 2017 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  471
Joined  2007-02-17

Why use ‘vanish’ when a perfectly good word like ‘disappear’ exists?

Posted: 10 October 2017 05:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1173
Joined  2007-03-01

By the way, it’s not a phenomenon; men and women have been doing this to each other for years.

I would say for centuries, actually. It’s just that till the 20th century the only available methods of ghosting someone were not to reply to letters and avoid social events at which you were likely to meet; Willoughby’s behaviour to Marianne Dashwood in Chapters 26-29 of Sense and Sensibility is a classic example of Regency-period ghosting. Even the invention of the telephone didn’t change things much, unless you could get someone to answer it for you and swear blind that you weren’t at home,until the development of answering machines. (I actually was motivated to buy my first answering machine by a slightly unhinged acquaintance, who after a falling-out took to ringing up at odd times to rant at me. Oh, the relief of having the means to screen her out without missing important calls!) But in the last two decades as electronic means of communication have multiplied, so too have the techniques for refusing to communicate.

Posted: 10 October 2017 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6321
Joined  2007-01-03

I don’t find it objectionable, I just don’t find it necessary. I find it to be a trendy coinage, particularly since we have words such as, vanish or evanish, or disappear, which would express the same meanings.

They’re not quite the same meanings. They have the same linguistic sense, but the social connotations attached to the words are quite different. Ghost is particularly evocative since with social media there is still a presence. The person still appears on friends lists, one one’s Facebook feed, is there in you texting app, etc.

Besides, people have always been inventing slang synonyms. They’re not going to stop now.

Posted: 10 October 2017 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

Besides, people have always been inventing slang synonyms. They’re not going to stop now.

And when people see a word or usage they’re not familiar with, they’re going to complain about how unnecessary and ugly it is.  Until they get used to it, at which point they’ll forget their original objections.  Just part of the human comedy.

Posted: 10 October 2017 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-10-14

And when people see a word or usage they’re not familiar with, they’re going to complain about how unnecessary and ugly it is.  Until they get used to it, at which point they’ll forget their original objections.  Just part of the human comedy.

I must agree, those points are well taken.

Posted: 10 October 2017 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  182
Joined  2007-02-13

There have been a few additions to English on this site.
“Mantle” comes to mind, not too dissimilar to “ghosting”!

And of course diegogarciacity…

Posted: 11 October 2017 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2007-06-14

For those us us who have accepted ghosting and are reading to adopt new and temprorary peeves, there is phubbing

Yes, phubbing.

In the digital age, we have a lot of terms for bad relationship behavior. There’s ghosting, haunting, and benching or breadcrumbing, just to name a few. Thanks to our iPhones and social media, it’s become easier and easier to weave in and out of one someone’s life on a whim.
Phones also offer a way to drive them crazy when you’re together. Witness the rise in a new kind of dating conflict: the kind that happens when a date or significant other can’t seem to tear their eyes away from the screen. Naturally, there’s a cutesy name for that too. Enter “phubbing”, a combination of the words “phone” and “snubbing.” It’s what your date is doing when they’re more interested in checking their fantasy football score than listening to your story, or when your partner would rather scroll endlessly through Twitter than spend time with you. It’s frustrating, and might make you want to scream: “Just put your phone down already!”

source:https://www.allure.com/story/phubbing-relationship-dating-trend

Posted: 11 October 2017 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

If someone did that to me, I would softly and suddenly vanish away, sort of like a ghost.

Posted: 11 October 2017 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2013-10-14

source:https://www.allure.com/story/phubbing-relationship-dating-trend

Can not access the link.

Posted: 11 October 2017 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2007-02-24

http://www.allure.com/story/phubbing-relationship-dating-trend

The “s” in https seems to not work as a referenced link most of the time. Just eliminate it.

[ Edited: 11 October 2017 09:05 AM by Eyehawk ]

Posted: 11 October 2017 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  299
Joined  2007-06-14
languagehat - 11 October 2017 05:22 AM

If someone did that to me, I would softly and suddenly vanish away, sort of like a ghost.

I would change my name to Evan and evanesce.

[ Edited: 11 October 2017 08:31 AM by cuchuflete ]

1 of 2

‹‹ calved      MW time traveller ››