Latinx
Posted: 16 October 2017 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3011
Joined  2007-01-30

I have nothing at all against new words as long as they serve some purpose. This one doesn’t. First a definition from Wikipedia for those who, like me until just now, haven’t come across the word.

Latinx (pronounced: Latin-X) is a gender neutral term often used in lieu of Latino or Latina that refers to individuals with cultural ties to Latin America and individuals with Latin American descent. The -x replaces the standard o/a ending of Latino and is intended to be more gender inclusive.

OK, I get that Latino and Latina are gender-specific. If only there were a word that was more gender-inclusive! And of course there is, although the idiots who coined this ghastly term seem to be unaware of it. Latin. Now honestly which is preferable, Latins or Latinxs? (I kid you not, that’s the plural form.) Both mean exactly the same thing. So if those who spend their whole lives tweeting inanities at each other want to use this term then good luck to them. I’ll stick with Latins, thank you. And I don’t think this is a matter of crusty old age rejecting all novelties. I would have seen this as stupid when I was young too.

Posted: 16 October 2017 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  2007-02-16

Go along with you, Aldi. Why don’t you submit your view to Wiki. under the para. ‘Criticism’?

Posted: 16 October 2017 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6297
Joined  2007-01-03

This is one you’re just going to have to roll with. It’s pretty well established at this point.

Posted: 16 October 2017 03:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  296
Joined  2007-06-14

I’m with you aldi, as far as Latin vs. Latin-X.  We have another option:
Latino, in Spanish, is both masculine and neuter.

Posted: 16 October 2017 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6297
Joined  2007-01-03

It also strikes me that Latin as a noun referring to a person is mildly derogatory. It just sounds wrong to my ear, although I can’t find any source that backs me up on it having a derogatory or racist tinge to it. If someone used it in conversation, I would immediately be taken aback and start wondering about that person’s motives, or at least their ethnic sensitivity.

We should also be aware that Latinx not just an English term. It’s used in Spanish as well.

Posted: 16 October 2017 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4491
Joined  2007-01-29

I agree with aldi, though: it’s a stupid term (and I don’t say that about many neologisms).  It wantonly violates every dictate of good sense, and I refuse to use it.

Posted: 16 October 2017 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-14
languagehat - 16 October 2017 05:49 AM

I agree with aldi, though: it’s a stupid term (and I don’t say that about many neologisms).  It wantonly violates every dictate of good sense, and I refuse to use it.

You might identify with me and this:

But not everyone agrees “Latinx” is the solution to more gender-inclusive Spanish. Critics have argued that the word “effectively serves as an American way to erase the Spanish language,” and that “Latino” is already a gender-neutral term used to describe the Latin-American community.

And you might be pilloried with me by this empty-as-it-is-cute and fashionable mush:

In response, New York-based professors María R. Scharrón-del Río and Alan A. Aja defended the term last year, writing in Latino Rebels that criticism of Latinx is “born out of unexamined privilege and lack of awareness about systemic oppression.”

source: http://www.univision.com/univision-news/united-states/what-the-term-latinx-means

[ Edited: 16 October 2017 07:53 AM by cuchuflete ]

Posted: 17 October 2017 02:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1503
Joined  2007-02-14

It has been argued that using Latino as a sex neutral (not grammatically neuter) term is sexist.  An earlier solution was Latin@.  I recently used Latin@ and was told that the proper term was Latinx

Posted: 17 October 2017 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-14
Faldage - 17 October 2017 02:48 AM

It has been argued that using Latino as a sex neutral (not grammatically neuter) term is sexist.  An earlier solution was Latin@.  I recently used Latin@ and was told that the proper term was Latinx

Did you use @ in writing or in spoken English or spoken Spanish?
I don’t know how one might say it in English, and latinarroba sounds goofy in Spanish.

Did the person who told you what was proper (sic) have an official presciptivism membership card, or at least a Proscriptivist
International enamel lapel pin?

Posted: 18 October 2017 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1503
Joined  2007-02-14
cuchuflete - 17 October 2017 03:34 AM

Faldage - 17 October 2017 02:48 AM

Did you use @ in writing or in spoken English or spoken Spanish?

Only in writing. I really don’t know how to pronounce it.  My corrector had a Latinx name.

Posted: 18 October 2017 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1577
Joined  2007-03-21

The Germans have a bigger problem. How to indicate “teachers”, for example, as both male and female in the plural? Thus the odd invention of""LehrerInnen" rather than"Lehrerinnen und Lehrer"." The upper case “I” is called the “Binnen I” to indicate a plural neutral. I don’t think it’s catching on except liberals. One of the problems is how it is to be pronounced.