Stick / microphone? 
Posted: 16 October 2017 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2007-02-24

Steve Bannon (Trump advisor who was booted a week or two ago) said on Monday, “You can come to a stick and condemn Senator Corker.” He then used the term again and added “a microphone” to identify what he meant.

I did a quick search and found it is a reference to a “microphone stick”, apparently, the rod or post that holds a microphone when one stands to sing or speak into the mic. I had never heard that particular usage before. Is this usage common today?

Posted: 17 October 2017 03:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6297
Joined  2007-01-03

I’ve never heard it, and a quick Googling turns up nothing. The fact that he had to explain it also indicates that it’s not common.

Posted: 13 November 2017 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  653
Joined  2011-04-10

Bannon was in internet radio or in come capacity as a journalist, wasn’t he?

The proliferation of headset microphones recently (last two decades or so lol which reveals my age) leads me to suspect that there are now fundamentally two kinds of mics: headset mics and stick mics.

Stick mics might be on tall stage stands (sticks) or short desktop stands (sticks) such as an old fashioned radio announcer might use. Also, the barrel of a hand held mic could be called stick as opposed to what a headset mic looks like.

I don’t recall having heard the term but I think I would understand it immediately if heard in the proper context, such as in a recording session with a headset mic-wearing performer and an engineer who wanted the performer to ‘get on the stick’.

It may be a common term these days.

link

link

[ Edited: 13 November 2017 02:48 PM by sobiest ]

Posted: 13 November 2017 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-24

Thanks for the info, sobiest. It makes sense, but I had never heard it until Bannon used it.

Posted: 14 November 2017 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6297
Joined  2007-01-03

In the two links Sobiest provides the overwhelming majority of the uses of stick are as an adjective in the phrases stick microphone or stick mic. In the first link from SportcasterLife, there is only one use of stick to mean the microphone itself; all the others are adjectival. In the second from Alpha Sound and Lighting, stick is being used to refer to the boom, not the microphone itself.

The usage is undoubtedly out there, but I’m not sure how common it is.

Posted: 14 November 2017 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-24

I agree. As I posted, Bannon added “microphone” as an afterthought the second time he said “stick”, as though he knew few would understand what it meant.

Posted: 15 November 2017 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1503
Joined  2007-02-14

All Urban Dictionary has to offer is “a slang term used in south florida(miami for example) which is used to describe an ak- 47, but is also sometimes used to describe a big gun(automatic) such as an ar- 15 or m- 16.”

‹‹ Latinx      Mad as a hatter ››