Lionello
Posted: 06 December 2017 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1617
Joined  2007-01-29

It is with great sadness that I read an email from his wife saying that Lionello, as we knew him, died in late November.  Lionello emailed me to say that he had only a few weeks to live with lung cancer. As he hated a fuss he asked me to mention his passing on the board. To this little international community he was an intelligent, witty, knowledgeable and valued contributor and his posts lightened the board, so I know he will be much missed here, though the loss to his wife and family is immeasurable. I have passed on my condolences on behalf of us all here.

Posted: 06 December 2017 04:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6323
Joined  2007-01-03

Thank you Eliza. That is indeed sad news. He will be missed.

Posted: 06 December 2017 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2007-02-24

It is difficult to put human tissue on a post. It’s not the same as sitting across the table chewing the fat and sipping wine. We don’t hear the voice, see the facial expressions, or capture the angle of their smile. We only see and feel the words...until this happens.

Here’s to you, Lionello. And thanks for caring, Eliza.

Posted: 06 December 2017 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4514
Joined  2007-01-29

Oh no.  Somehow I guessed just seeing the post title what the news must be, and my heart sank.  Lionello was always one of my favorites, and I’ll miss him for a long time.  Thanks very much for letting us know and for passing on our condolences, Eliza.

Posted: 06 December 2017 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3466
Joined  2007-01-31

It’s one of the miracles of modern life that we have the opportunity to meet and develop real affection for people over this very limited medium.  Lionello’s personality came through, even if all we saw of him were letters on a screen. This is a grievous loss to us all.

Lionello, old friend, may the Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you His peace.

Posted: 06 December 2017 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1585
Joined  2007-03-21

I was also blessed by several private emails in which he shared from his heart. I too will miss him. Thank you, Eliza, both for the sad message as well as honoring his wishes.

Posted: 08 December 2017 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2015-05-27

Lionello’s contributions were a big part of what kept me coming back to read this message board for going on two decades. His sometimes bawdy, but always erudite posts lent a warm touch of humanity whenever the discussion got too dry or quarrelsome.

Blessed is the True Judge

Posted: 08 December 2017 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2007-02-16

It’s hard to find further appropriate words to express the loss we all feel. I can but only endorse everything that my fellow Board colleagues have already recorded. R.I.P. Lionello.

Posted: 08 December 2017 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  286
Joined  2007-02-16

Dave, Shouldn’t Lionello’s passing be recorded in the Discussion Forum because not everyone visits the Meta Discussion section regularly.  I believe that, as a regular and major contributor, he deserves this.

Posted: 08 December 2017 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2007-01-30

I was wondering just the other day where Lionello was but I had no expectation at all of this. Such a dear man, I shall miss him terribly. Thank you, Eliza, for informing us. Rest in peace, my friend, and may the earth lie lightly on you.

Posted: 10 December 2017 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1617
Joined  2007-01-29

Here, in Lionello’s words, which I should have included in my opening post, is his tribute to everyone here:

Thank them all (and yourself ) for a mind-enriching experience.

He died 3 weeks later.

‹‹ smiley