Voynich in the news again
Posted: 30 January 2018 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2007-04-19

"Cracked” is a bit of a stretch, since even if this hypothesis is correct, it’s only the first step in determining what the manuscript actually says, but Skynet apparently thinks it’s written in Hebrew:

https://gizmodo.com/artificial-intelligence-may-have-cracked-freaky-600-yea-1822519232

Posted: 30 January 2018 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6465
Joined  2007-01-03

I’m not impressed. The Universal Declaration of Rights is only about 1,800 words long, and most of the sentences have a markedly similar grammatical structure. As a rule, you need ten thousand or more words to draw statistically meaningful results from such computational linguistic analysis, and since the sentence structures analyzed as the base are so similar, the UDR isn’t going to provide a varied enough base. Now, maybe if you were analyzing an encoded treaty text, this method might yield meaningful results, but I doubt that’s what the Voynich manuscript is.

Why don’t they try an 1,800 word sample from the Bible (which is translated into as many languages) and see if they get the same result. I’ll bet anything such an analysis will say Voynich is written in a language other than Hebrew.

Posted: 31 January 2018 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4619
Joined  2007-01-29

Oy, this again.  To quote myself from Facebook:

What amazes me is that every single time somebody announces yet another cockamamie “decipherment” (it’s Romansh, and it’s cooking instructions! no, it’s Avar, and it’s a list of species of lizards!) the press runs up panting and makes a big deal of it and we have to endure all the excited online drooling. What is so fascinating about the fershlugginer Voynich manuscript??

Posted: 31 January 2018 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4619
Joined  2007-01-29

And to quote a couple of other people on FB:

Their model makes a prediction of unclear accuracy based on the distributional properties of the symbols in the text. They point out that the top scorer is an implausible result, and went with the second best - Hebrew - instead. Any language that scored relatively well would produce a “somewhat garbled” sentence in that language given the manuscript as input, since the whole method is to map the source to a sequentially plausible generated text.

Well it’s all just completely hopeless. They don’t know Hebrew; nobody who does is interested and they “hypothesized the manuscript was created using alphagrams, defining one phrase with another, exemplary of the ambiguities in human language”, which is common enough with the Voynich but IN PRACTICE they mean that if they can coax Google Translate into rorschaching ANYTHING AT ALL out of their pseudo-Hebrew betagram salads then they will feel entitled to declare victory.

Posted: 31 January 2018 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3087
Joined  2007-01-30

Shamefast I confess that I used to fall for these articles in the press. It’s only thanks to the bromides regularly prescribed here by Dave, LH and others that I’ve learnt that with Voynich interpretations all that glisters is not gold.

Posted: 01 February 2018 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1623
Joined  2007-01-29

Someone is laughing from his or her grave.

Posted: 02 February 2018 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2007-04-19
ElizaD - 01 February 2018 11:55 PM

Someone is laughing from his or her grave.

I forgot to mention in my initial post that I’ve been in the “hoax” camp for quite some time. If there is any actual information contained in the manuscript, I’m hoping that somewhere down the line it’ll be revealed as a collection of dirty limericks.

Posted: 03 February 2018 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  343
Joined  2007-06-14

Spanish military intelligence might be able to show that it’s just a collection of courtly love poems. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42931940