1. Lacustrine sediments
2. Sediments of lakes

Thanks a lot in advance

Posted: 01 February 2018 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6465
Joined  2007-01-03

The distinction is geological, not etymological, and you’d be better served by asking geologists what the nuances of the distinction is.

The word lacustrine is from the Latin lacus meaning lake, so it literally means “lake sediment.” But meaning is determined by use, not by etymology, and lacustrine sediments are not just any lake sediments but rather ancient ones. I don’t know whether geologists use the term to refer to sediments from a specific period, or if the date range for the term varies from region to region depending on the particular local geological history.

Posted: 03 February 2018 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2018-01-31
Dave Wilton - 01 February 2018 06:13 AM

The distinction is geological, not etymological, and you’d be better served by asking geologists what the nuances of the distinction is.

The word lacustrine is from the Latin lacus meaning lake, so it literally means “lake sediment.” But meaning is determined by use, not by etymology, and lacustrine sediments are not just any lake sediments but rather ancient ones. I don’t know whether geologists use the term to refer to sediments from a specific period, or if the date range for the term varies from region to region depending on the particular local geological history.

Thanks a lot, Dave for your quick response.