Past Participle :Sniffed
Posted: 06 February 2018 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2018-01-31

Hello, folks

In the garden, there was a hamburger laid on a table. A pig roaming out there came over and sniffed it.

The pig-sniffed hamburger was still there.

I am sure the past participle may not sound natural to your ears, but is it grammatically and well-formed?

Thanks in advance

Posted: 07 February 2018 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  302
Joined  2007-02-16

Obviously it couldn’t bring itself to associate with a masquerading beefburger!  ;-)

Posted: 07 February 2018 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6485
Joined  2007-01-03

It’s well formed, but I think most native English speakers would stumble over it, unsure of what it meant. X-sniffed is not idiomatic. There’s no reason it couldn’t exist as a word; it just doesn’t.

I would go with: The hamburger the pig had sniffed was still there.

Posted: 07 February 2018 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  821
Joined  2013-10-14

I would think that, Pig-sniffed, in the sentence that Anglophile submitted could also serve as a adjective.

Posted: 07 February 2018 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  410
Joined  2007-02-13

Pig-sniffed hamburger sounds jaunty and informal to me, which is fine if that’s what you are going for.

Posted: 07 February 2018 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1227
Joined  2007-03-01

I would think that, Pig-sniffed, in the sentence that Anglophile submitted could also serve as a adjective.

It certainly could. Whether it should is another question. The event of being sniffed at by a pig doesn’t affect the condition or nature of a hamburger, and so doesn’t really justify being turned into a compound adjective in the same way that the events of, say, being bitten by fleas, smeared with blood or fried in a pan do. It’s just a bit incongruous, and so I think it only works in a jokey register.

Posted: 07 February 2018 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4055
Joined  2007-02-26

It certainly could. Whether it should is another question. The event of being sniffed at by a pig doesn’t affect the condition or nature of a hamburger, and so doesn’t really justify being turned into a compound adjective in the same way that the events of, say, being bitten by fleas, smeared with blood or fried in a pan do.”

Adjectives often don’t affect the condition or nature of the noun described. If I say “aforementioned hamburger” I’m not telling the listener anything about the hamburger except that it is the one mentioned earlier.

Posted: 08 February 2018 04:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  351
Joined  2007-06-14

Pig-sniffed hamburger sounds like a perfectly good name for a rock band.  Not quite as exotic as Congratulations on Your Decision to Become a Pilot, but intriguiging.

Posted: 08 February 2018 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2007-02-24

The fact that the burger had been pig-sniffed would not affect me if I were not told about the act. But, if I were to hear about it being big-sniffed, it would have a huge affect on me. A pig does not just sniff in, you know. The result of that action is that it must then exhale. Having worked on many a farm in my youth, I would suggest you might want to avoid a pig-sniffed hamburger, whether eating it affects you or not.

Posted: 10 February 2018 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2018-01-31

Thanks all for the input and elaboration on my questions. Be it a cat or a dog who sniffed that sandwich I only focus on the construction of the past participle irrespective of whether that sandwich healthy or bad.
A cat-sniffed sandwich
A dog-sniffed sandwich

These constructions seem to be strange to your ears, I am sure.

Thanks for all who answered and clarified the question.