Deke
Posted: 21 February 2018 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3102
Joined  2007-01-30

From a report on the Olympic hockey shootout between the Czechs and Americans.

“He was making pretty good deke,” said Francouz, who plays for Traktor Chelyabinsk in Russia’s Kontinental Hockey League. “He was all over me already, but he kind of lost the puck in the end, so I was happy he didn’t score.

This is completely new to me. A hockey term, I’m assuming. But whence comes it? An abbreviation of some sort?

Posted: 21 February 2018 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1566
Joined  2007-02-14

I thought it as more general than hockey but apparently I’m wrong.  I can see it used in baseball and certainly in footy.  Most people with penalty kicks seem to employ it pretty well at least in the Premier League.  AHD says it’s short for decoy.

[ Edited: 21 February 2018 04:02 AM by Faldage ]

Posted: 21 February 2018 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6485
Joined  2007-01-03

It’s in the Dickson Baseball Dictionary, which says it got its start in hockey for a play that draws the goalie out of the goal. That source also says it’s “long-established” in football (not sure if that means American football or soccer; I’ve never heard it in reference to American football, but that doesn’t mean much). It made its way into baseball in the 1990s, where it’s mainly used for decoy signs.

Posted: 21 February 2018 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  410
Joined  2007-02-13
Dave Wilton - 21 February 2018 05:41 AM

It’s in the Dickson Baseball Dictionary, which says it got its start in hockey for a play that draws the goalie out of the goal. That source also says it’s “long-established” in football (not sure if that means American football or soccer; I’ve never heard it in reference to American football, but that doesn’t mean much). It made its way into baseball in the 1990s, where it’s mainly used for decoy signs.

Actually in baseball I think you’ll find that fielders try to deke the runner a lot by pretending a throw is coming or not coming, etc. 

In American football there’s also “juke”, as for a runner to juke the defender “out of his shoes”. 

It’s interesting that m-w.com says “to fake out of position” for both deke and juke, but for deke they give ice hockey as an example and for juke they use “football” which is presumably American football.  I haven’t heard “juke” anywhere besides football but then I never watch hockey and I only watch basketball when my younger son is around and there’s a big game on.

Posted: 21 February 2018 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-30

Ah, decoy. I see now. At first I was trying to shoehorn it into the term dekko, sometimes heard as dekkers or dekky meaning look but that didn’t make sense and I’m not sure if Americans use that word anyway.

Posted: 21 February 2018 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3522
Joined  2007-01-31

We don’t, at least not in my experience.

Posted: 22 February 2018 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-30

That figures. It’s one of the many words introduced from Hindi, presumably by soldiers returning from India in the 19th/20th centuries, bungalow, pariah, khaki, shampoo et al, although some did make the extra hop over the water.

Posted: 22 February 2018 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3522
Joined  2007-01-31

Those four all did, for instance.