Versing
Posted: 23 March 2018 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4094
Joined  2007-02-26

To verse, meaning to play against.

I’ve been hearing this a lot in personal spoken communication lately, though I rarely encounter in text. I would not expect to see it in a formal context, ie by a professional journalist. Perhaps it is a backformation of versus, where it is taken to be “verses”.

https://www.eskdaleacademy.com/single-post/2017/02/10/Girls-Football-Tournament
The girls football team played at the Sports Domes on Friday 3rd February. The team versed 8 schools and placed 3rd with 9 points.

https://boards.oce.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/miscellaneous/NoPkx8hu-why-do-i-suck-50-times-worse-all-of-a-sudden
You are versing better players and you were always garbage. 

Posted: 24 March 2018 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1259
Joined  2007-03-01

Do you ever get the feeling that you would understand modern language better if you actually knew less? Because if I read “you are versing better players”, my first presumption would be that “you” were teaching them - to suck eggs, perhaps.

Posted: 24 March 2018 04:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4672
Joined  2007-01-29

Have we really never covered this here?  I just did a search and couldn’t find it.  I posted about it at LH back in 2005 and got this enlightening comment from Ben Zimmer: 

The usage of “verse” as a back-formation from “versus” has become widespread even among adults. The Usenet archive suggests that the verb found popularity amongst gamers and then spread to wider usage in the mid-’90s:
Date: 1995/02/13
Newsgroup: alt.games.sf2
Its a fairly pointless exercise, Versing characters from different arcades against each other anyway…
Date: 1995/09/23
Newsgroup: rec.games.video.sony
When versing the black car, remember that the first is a warmup lap…
Date: 1996/01/22
Newsgroup: rec.motorcycles.dirt
So if I’m right, the next one should be on 1/28 at 3pm est on ESPN2. Unfortunately, it’s versing the Superbowl!
Date: 1996/06/10
Newsgroup: alt.tv.babylon-5
I have noticed one thing, there seems to be a lot of “B”s versing “S”s.
Date: 1996/09/27
Newsgroup: alt.sports.hockey.rhi
I saw a game with them, but I don’t know who they were versing …

(I must say, I’m proud of myself for remembering a post from over a dozen years ago—I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night!)

Posted: 24 March 2018 08:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  370
Joined  2007-02-24

That, LH, is how human memory works. As one ages, it is harder to remember things that just happened, but your memories of past trivia seldom fade.

I’m beginning to forget the reason I started this post.

What post?

Posted: 24 March 2018 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3526
Joined  2007-01-31

I certainly don’t recall discussing it on wordorigins, and I don’t recall every running across it before.  But I hardly ever read sports reportage.

‹‹ Pseudonymisation      Vertical ››