Vertical
Posted: 24 March 2018 04:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3110
Joined  2007-01-30

From the Chicago Tribune in an article on the death of actress DuShon Monique Brown who played Connie on Chicago Fire.

The website FanSided has a vertical for the Wolf NBC shows set in Chicago ......

A vertical? That one went beneath my radar. What is it and how long has it been in use?

Posted: 24 March 2018 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1636
Joined  2007-03-21

I’m wild ass guessing here, but I think it means to take an idea to the top management at Wolf Films which produce the Law and Order series. The fanside reviewer loves the DuShon Monique Brown character in Chicago Fire and Wolf films might considering developing such a character.

Business slang uses “vertical” to mean taking an idea to the top.

Posted: 24 March 2018 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-21

So, I asked the author and she responded immediatly with this link.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-vertical-media

It doesn’t clarify too much for me, but there it is

Posted: 24 March 2018 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6502
Joined  2007-01-03

Business slang uses “vertical” to mean taking an idea to the top.

I’ve never heard that in business slang.  I have heard it in air force slang to mean to rise sharply, to fly high. Literally it refers to an aircraft going straight up; only the highest performing military aircraft are capable of that. I suppose it could have transferred over to business slang, lots of military terms do, but the sense is not particular to business.

Instead, vertical in business jargon refers to a market consisting of one particular industry or demographic. A furniture company that only supplies restaurants is in a vertical market. One that sells home, office, and restaurant furniture would be in a horizontal market. Vertical media, as the author’s link points out, does the same thing. Daily Variety is a good example of vertical media, covering the entertainment industry. I used to be the news editor for the Oil Price Information Service, another example of vertical media.

Posted: 25 March 2018 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2007-03-01

In the wine biz, a vertical wine tasting entails comparing different vintages of the same wine (as it might be Chateau Haut Brion 1995, 1999, 2001, 2004 and 2006), as opposed to a horizontal tasting, where you taste different wines of the same vintage (e.g. 2010 pinot noirs from half a dozen New Zealand North Island wineries).

Posted: 25 March 2018 05:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4632
Joined  2007-01-29

To save people having to click through aldi’s link (which may not be crystal-clear but is more informative than our wild guesses):

Russell Ackner, Vice President, Omnichannel Marketing at Invicta Watches (2017-present)
Answered Oct 2

Vertical media is specific to a segment or market. The “vertical” in this case relates to the industry your targeting. It’s usually limited to a single industry - unlike a more general or wider audience marketing campaign. Vertical media tends to target a particular demographic as well within the vertical. Essentially it’s a more narrow approach to marketing with a well-crafted, highly relevant (hopefully) message.

Posted: 26 March 2018 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-03-21
languagehat - 25 March 2018 05:17 AM

To save people having to click through aldi’s link (which may not be crystal-clear but is more informative than our wild guesses):

Russell Ackner, Vice President, Omnichannel Marketing at Invicta Watches (2017-present)
Answered Oct 2

Vertical media is specific to a segment or market. The “vertical” in this case relates to the industry your targeting. It’s usually limited to a single industry - unlike a more general or wider audience marketing campaign. Vertical media tends to target a particular demographic as well within the vertical. Essentially it’s a more narrow approach to marketing with a well-crafted, highly relevant (hopefully) message.

For what it’s worth, this was MY link, not aldi’s. It was sent to me by the author of the article in question as I noted.

Posted: 27 March 2018 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2007-02-15

Hope ‘having a vertical for something’ isn’t just a bawdy way of saying you like something. An awful lot!

Posted: 27 March 2018 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4632
Joined  2007-01-29

For what it’s worth, this was MY link, not aldi’s.

D’oh!  Sorry, I just assume aldi is responsible for everything.

Posted: 27 March 2018 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3110
Joined  2007-01-30

Not the weather though. Or the price of pumpkins. Those two are tricky.

Posted: 28 March 2018 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  206
Joined  2007-02-13
Syntinen Laulu - 25 March 2018 01:39 AM

In the wine biz, ......

The challenge is the use a professional technique in order to maintain your vertical status

;-)

‹‹ Versing      Capon/poultry ››