gedunk
Posted: 07 May 2018 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  368
Joined  2007-02-13

I am quite charmed by this.  I recently came across a report in the Manchester Guardian of March 4, 1865, describing camp activities in the Federal army.  It included the lovely detail that the sutler’s tent was also called a “shebang.” This recalled to my mind that my father, who was a career US Navy chaplain, called the navy’s rough equivalent a “gedunk.” This made my wonder about the origin of that word.

This has been mostly worked out in the Historical Dictionary of American Slang.  It comes from the comic strip “Harold Teen” that ran from 1919 to 1959.  Harold spent much of his time at the Sugar Bowl soda shop eating “Gedunk sundaes.” This transferred to ice cream or other sweet snacks, and from there to where you obtained them.

The dictionary leaves open what was the source of “gedunk” in the comic strip.  I think it is mock German for “dunk.” The cartoonist was Carl Frank Ludwig Ed and he went to a Lutheran college in Illinois, so I suspect he grew up with German.  And then there is a letter to the editor from a reader “Gretchen” (published in the Belleville News Democrat of January 27, 1925, copied from the Chicago Tribune) complaining about the bad grammar of this vogue word and giving the proper forms.  I particularly like the headline given the letter:  “To Eingetunkt Is One Thing; To Gedunk Is Another.”

Posted: 08 May 2018 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1574
Joined  2007-02-14

When I was in the Navy in the late ‘60s we pronounced it with the emphasis on the first syllable, /’gi: dʌŋk/ It also referred to the tuf you might buy there as well as the place itself.

Posted: 08 May 2018 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  538
Joined  2007-02-13
Faldage - 08 May 2018 02:25 AM

When I was in the Navy in the late ‘60s we pronounced it with the emphasis on the first syllable, /’gi: dʌŋk/ It also referred to the tuf you might buy there as well as the place itself.

Same when I was in the Navy in the ‘80s.  At Cecil Field, Florida (my squadron’s home port), I had to do my 90-days TAD with base supply.  This took me to all the other squadrons delivering and picking up parts, and of course each squadron had their own geedunk. A couple of them were quite well-run.  My favorites were the Marines’ at MAG-42 and VS-32 which called theirs “The Hungry Eye”.

‹‹ chew out      Is Two Better Than One? ››