Moon
Posted: 14 June 2018 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3101
Joined  2007-01-30

I wondered when the buttock-baring sense dated from and I see that OED has a 1964 cite (moon, v. 4a)

1964 Princeton Alumni Weekly 7 July 34/3 All we had was..abortive efforts at mooning the Yale team in their dugout.

It’s interesting that it differentiates this from buttock-baring intended to insult or shock (moon, v. 4b) for which it gives a 1965 cite

1965 N. J. Eaton Stud.Current Adolescent Slang (M.A. thesis, Univ. Massachusetts–Amherst) iii. 36 Gloss.  Moon,..to expose the buttocks. syn. Throw a moon.

Perhaps it supposes that those attempting to moon the Yale team intended it as a gesture of respect!

There are several earlier senses of the verb moon of course, eg the equivalent of sunning oneself, to wander about listlessly, to daydream. I was unfamiliar with the chiefly Australian sense of hunting by moonlight though.

This was prompted by something I read in an article on the unpleasant Ms Roseanne Barr in the LA Times.

The storm escalated when Barr married Arnold in 1990. Their outrageous off-screen behavior was gold for tabloid covers — they once mooned a camera at a sporting event with their rear-ends —

With their rear-ends? Is there any other way? Although with Arnold and Barr perhaps their front-ends would have been equally effective.

Posted: 15 June 2018 02:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  303
Joined  2007-02-15

Just for the record, also meant a slow dance (vb & n) in the seventies and eighties in the central belt of Scotland. Was the only chance to get up close in the disco dance days!

Posted: 15 June 2018 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6483
Joined  2007-01-03

The noun predates it by quite a bit. From the OED:

1756 Life & Mem. E. T. Bates iii. 31 But his Moon shall never be covered by me or Buck..’till they put down the Ready—and no Brummagums.
1922 J. Joyce Ulysses ii. v. [Lotus Eaters] 80 Or their skirt behind, placket unhooked. Glimpses of the moon.
1938 S. Beckett Murphy 220 Placing her hands upon her moons, plump and plain.
1990 Vanity Fair (N.Y.) May 129/3 Twice he even took his clothes off at people—you know, pulled down his pants… Showed them his moon.
1991 Sunday Mail (Brisbane) 17 Nov. 68/3 [The] ice hockey team has been fined $2500 after a picture of a team ‘moon’ appeared in the club magazine.

Not an antedate, but Green’s has this cite for the verb. I only mention it because the purported origin given, which is absolutely false, albeit very inventive:

1968 [US] Current Sl. II:3 4: Moon, v. To expose gluteus maximus in public. (possibly from Hawaii, Okole maluna, ‘bottoms up.’).

Posted: 15 June 2018 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3101
Joined  2007-01-30

Thank you, Dave, I didn’t think to look for the noun. Okole maluna indeed! That is inventive and amusing to boot.

‹‹ pick up      Great day in the morning ››