Published/released
Posted: 05 December 2018 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1441
Joined  2007-04-28

I read this today in the Grauniad:

The book was based on the first new compulsory course at the Harvard Business School in a generation, launched in 1981. Ron Johnson started his MBA at Harvard the next year, graduating as the book itself was released.

When I was a beardless boy books were published and records were released. I always suspected the latter was a hip marketing term intended to imply ‘on an expectant world’ of cool cats whilst the publishing world was too staid to go in for such vulgarity, at least in Britain back in the day. The writer of the above is a young Ameican academic called Jonny Bunning

Is this a new thing or an American thing or have I somehow missed books being released?

[ Edited: 05 December 2018 02:37 AM by venomousbede ]

Posted: 05 December 2018 03:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1582
Joined  2007-02-14

Just off the top of my head I’d say the terms refer to different stages in the process.  “Published’ means that it has gone through a process of editing and other matters involved in the making of a physical book.  “Released” means made available for sale and delivery to the purchaser.  A book can be published but not yet released till a certain date for whatever reason.

Posted: 05 December 2018 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  415
Joined  2007-02-13
venomousbede - 05 December 2018 02:22 AM

When I was a beardless boy books were published and records were released.

Records are dropped now.  Even hipper.