Drug, verb
Posted: 09 April 2019 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  916
Joined  2013-10-14

Regarding the verb drug, meaning to drag, the OED informs us that the origin is unknown. It does predate drag, which has the same meaning, but they could have separate origins.

Drug is marked obsolete except in certain dialects, such as English and Scottish regional (southern).

Was it only used as the past tense and past participle of drag, (He had drug me through the bushes), although I noticed that a few of OED’s entries submitted the weak verb form as a regular verb, drug, drugged drugged?

a1706 Mare of Collingtoun (1751) 11 Then in a grief he did her hail, And drugged both at main and tail.

I’ve never read or heard it being used as a regular verb and rarely as the past tense or past participle for drag. What say you?

Posted: 10 April 2019 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1300
Joined  2007-03-01

The OED says of this verb:

Origin unknown. Compare drag v., although it is difficult to explain the different stem vowel shown by the two verbs. Perhaps ultimately < the same base as drudge n. and drudge v. (see discussion of etymology at drudge n.).

And of drudge (n) it (not updated) says:

The derivation of this and the associated verb is obscure: the noun is known c1500, the verb about 50 years later. As a rarer form of both, drugge , drug is also found 1550–1650. The forms and sense would both be satisfied by an Old English noun *drycgea ‘labourer’, < *dryge < *drugi-z ‘labour’, < u -grade drug- of dréogan to work, etc. (dree v.), (compare lyre, scyte, < léosan, scéotan, etc.); or by an Old English verb *drycgean, West Germanic *druggjan < *drugjan, from same verb; but of these no actual trace has been found either in Old English or Middle English.

Posted: 11 April 2019 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  431
Joined  2007-02-24

"drug” instead of “dragged” is used often in the midwest USA. I’ve heard it now and then throughout my life (born in Iowa and now living in Nebraska).

Posted: 11 April 2019 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6692
Joined  2007-01-03

The Dictionary of American Regional English says drug as the past participle of drag is “widespread exc[ept] N[ew] Eng[land].”

‹‹ Deserts/ just deserts      Blinkist ››