Veggies, either side of the Pond
Posted: 09 July 2019 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1344
Joined  2007-03-01

The recent thread about veggie-burgers has made me think about the word veggies. As a noun, I gather it is used in informal Leftpondian to mean ‘vegetables’, whereas here in Rightpondia it means ‘vegetarians’ - except in baby-talk, as in “Diddums eat up all his nice veggies!”; it always sounds odd to me for adults to call their peas and beans ‘veggies’. Over here, vegetables have always been veg for short, as in the classic formula ‘meat and two veg’. So if I had vegetarian guests coming for lunch, I might say ‘What veg should I cook for the veggies?’.

As an adjective, of course the word is ambiguous in many contexts: in the case of veggie burger or veggie option it’s moot whether it’s a burger / an option that’s made of vegetables or designed for vegetarians. I tend to construe it as the latter, but that may just be me.

Posted: 09 July 2019 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2007-02-13
Syntinen Laulu - 09 July 2019 10:14 PM

whether it’s a burger / an option that’s made of vegetables or designed for vegetarians. I tend to construe it as the latter, but that may just be me.

Not quite sure I see the difference between the 2nd and 3rd option, unless we consider fully synthetic organic materials.  In that case, what will be the next term banned?  Plastic burgers, Petro-chemical burgers, synth burgers?

But yes I agree, “veggie” over in the old-world describes the people with that dietary preference.  Or some animated vegetables on the children’s BBC programme, Mr Bloom ( I think that may have made it to the USA).

https://global.cbeebies.com/activities/mr-blooms-nursery-watch-meet-the-veggies

Posted: 10 July 2019 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1344
Joined  2007-03-01

Not quite sure I see the difference between the 2nd and 3rd option, unless we consider fully synthetic organic materials.

Well, to be really picky, a burger might be made of vegetables but fried in rendered animal fat, which would render it unsuitable for vegetarians! But I was thinking really of the intent: i.e. when I or anyone else use the formula “veggie [noun]”, which sense of the word veggie do we mean?

Posted: 10 July 2019 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1699
Joined  2007-03-21

whereas here in Rightpondia it means ‘vegetarians’ -

I don’t think I’ve heard that here. And if I were to use the word that way, I think the “veggie” might not take kindly.

‹‹ BL: bootstrap / boot up      Nonemergent ››