BL: Rapture (redux)
Posted: 24 August 2019 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6828
Joined  2007-01-03

Ecstasy, rape, apocalypse, and Burning Man, all in one word.

Posted: 24 August 2019 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1357
Joined  2007-03-01

Perhaps it’s worth noting in passing that ravish encompasses the first three senses, and can function as an almost perfect synonym. Here’s a 17th-century poem, On Zacchaeus, by Francis Quarles (1592-1644 )

Me thinks, I see, with what a busy haste
Zacchaeus climbed the tree: But, O, how fast,
How full of speed, canst thou imagine (when
Our Saviour called) he powdered down again !
He ne’er made trial, if the boughs were sound,
Or rotten; nor how far ‘twas to the ground :
There was no danger feared; at such a Call,
He’ll venture nothing that dare fear a fall;
Needs must he down, by such a Spirit driven;
Nor could he fall, unless he fell to Heaven :
Down came Zacchaeus, ravish’d from the tree;
Bird that was shot ne’er dropped so quick as he.

[ Edited: 24 August 2019 11:16 PM by Syntinen Laulu ]

Posted: 25 August 2019 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4734
Joined  2007-01-29

That use of “powder” took me aback; here’s the OED (revised December 2006):

powder, v.2
[...]
Etymology: < powder n.2 [A hurry, a rush. Chiefly in †with a powder: in great haste; impetuously, violently, forcefully (obsolete).] Compare slightly earlier powdering adj.2
colloquial and British regional.

intransitive. To rush; to hurry impetuously. Also figurative and in extended use.
1632 F. Quarles Divine Fancies i. lxvii Zacheus climb’d the Tree: But O how fast,..(when Our Saviour called) he powder’d down agen!
c1645 I. Tullie Narr. Siege of Carlisle (1840) 33 About 800 horse..come powdering towards the Cowes so fast.
1684 T. Otway Atheist iii. 22 The Dice powd’ring out of the Box.
1694 R. L’Estrange Fables (ed. 2) 3 Down comes a kite powdering upon them in the interim, and gobbles up both together.
1744 R. North & M. North Life Sir D. North & Rev. J. North 120 The Refusal came powdering from him by Wholesale.
1809 M. Edgeworth Ennui iii, in Tales Fashionable Life I. 63 You’ll take four [horses]..and you’ll see how we’ll powder along.
1839 Dickens Nicholas Nickleby xxxix. 384 I think I see ‘un now, a powderin’ awa’ at the thin bread an’ butther!
[...]
1953 M. Traynor Eng. Dial. Donegal 218/1 Powtherin’ away at his work. Powdering along the road.
1990 J. McGahern Amongst Women 76 There’s nothing like the lake and the open air for powdering through the lessons.

Is anyone familiar with this sense?

Posted: 25 August 2019 07:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  955
Joined  2013-10-14

Is anyone familiar with this sense?

I’m familiar only with the slang sense: take a powder, to leave, depart hastily, esp to avoid arrest. I don’t hear it as often as I did in the sixties.

Posted: 26 August 2019 05:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4734
Joined  2007-01-29

I thought of that too, of course, but it turns out to be from powder 1 ("A substance composed of fine dry particles") instead.  Sense 5a is “A medical substance formulated as a powder, originally for external application, later also for internal use (usually taken with liquid); a measured dose of this, esp. when pre-packaged (frequently in plural),” from which develops P3 ”colloquial (orig. and chiefly U.S.). to take a (run-out, walk-out, etc.) powder: to withdraw; to depart, absent oneself; to run away, abscond. Recorded earliest in to take a run-out powder at run-out adj.2.” The first few citations:

1909 San Francisco Chron. 4 Feb. 9/2 Senator Cockey O’Brien of Bernal Heights..made Senator McGluke take a run-out powder.
1934 J. Proskauer Suckers All xxiv. 279 The smartest guy in the office took a walk out powder this morning.
1940 J. O’Hara Pal Joey 72 And take a powder out of here that day.
1941 R. Chandler in Street & Smith’s Detective Story Mag. Sept. 25 Why are you taking a powder?

‹‹ computer      chilopod ››