1 of 2
BL: OK Boomer
Posted: 16 November 2019 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6900
Joined  2007-01-03

I hesitated before putting it on the Big List because it’s most likely a flash in the pan, but I couldn’t resist.

Posted: 17 November 2019 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4765
Joined  2007-01-29

In two words, OK Boomer sums up the sentiment that Boomers have been a privileged and coddled generation who never faced tough times like today’s younger generations are facing and are thus out of touch and not worth listening to.

In other words, it’s just another ugly slur dumping one’s problems on other people and making oneself feel better while actively making the world a worse place.  There is no such entity as “boomers” any more than there is such an entity as “black people” or “immigrants”—there are actual people who can be slotted into those categories, but the slurs are never about actual people, they are simply a spewing of misdirected venom.  It wasn’t “boomers” who ruined the economy, it was specific greedheads of the sort who exist and have power in every generation.  I’m a boomer and I’ve been out of a job for long stretches and lived in a basement with no private bathroom and that sort of thing, and I am far from an outlier.  Being bereft of a job and blaming “boomers” is exactly like blaming “immigrants” in the same situation—which you choose just depends what kind of circles you run in.  I despise all generalizing slurs and wish people would stop being so free with them.  (And if you’re going to object that “OK Boomer” is just a jocular phrase, I’m going to tell you it’s on a continuum that runs on to “Boomers should all catch fire and die” and the like; you might as well say “colored people have a great sense of rhythm” is a compliment, so why do people get so surly about it?  And yes, I have seen things like that online.) And anyone who doesn’t identify as a member of a group should probably not feel entitled to judge whether a reference to that group is a slur or not.

Posted: 17 November 2019 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  557
Joined  2007-02-24

I come from the silent generation and don’t have anything to add to what LH said.

Posted: 18 November 2019 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  328
Joined  2007-02-15
languagehat - 17 November 2019 06:58 AM

In two words, OK Boomer sums up the sentiment that Boomers have been a privileged and coddled generation who never faced tough times like today’s younger generations are facing and are thus out of touch and not worth listening to.

In other words, it’s just another ugly slur dumping one’s problems on other people and making oneself feel better while actively making the world a worse place.  There is no such entity as “boomers” any more than there is such an entity as “black people” or “immigrants”—there are actual people who can be slotted into those categories, but the slurs are never about actual people, they are simply a spewing of misdirected venom.  It wasn’t “boomers” who ruined the economy, it was specific greedheads of the sort who exist and have power in every generation.  I’m a boomer and I’ve been out of a job for long stretches and lived in a basement with no private bathroom and that sort of thing, and I am far from an outlier.  Being bereft of a job and blaming “boomers” is exactly like blaming “immigrants” in the same situation—which you choose just depends what kind of circles you run in.  I despise all generalizing slurs and wish people would stop being so free with them.  (And if you’re going to object that “OK Boomer” is just a jocular phrase, I’m going to tell you it’s on a continuum that runs on to “Boomers should all catch fire and die” and the like; you might as well say “colored people have a great sense of rhythm” is a compliment, so why do people get so surly about it?  And yes, I have seen things like that online.) And anyone who doesn’t identify as a member of a group should probably not feel entitled to judge whether a reference to that group is a slur or not.

Ok boomer

Posted: 18 November 2019 04:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2007-06-14

Never heard or read it before this week, and now it seems to be everywhere.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/18/779783608/-okboomer-vs-okmillennial-workplace-nightmare-or-just-a-meme?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

Boomers and Millies?

Whatever happened to geezers and dumb youngins?

Respectfully yours,
Child of the Sixties/Boomer/Woodstock Generation who, not surprisingly, agrees with LH

Posted: 18 November 2019 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

What LH says is true. But the phrase is a reaction to the similar attacks on Millennials and other younger generations that have been continuous and common over the past few years.

Posted: 18 November 2019 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  557
Joined  2007-02-24

People are just giving a name to what has been going on forever. It is always underlying whether folks speak out about it or not. It seems natural for elders to feel they know more than the young, and the young will always resent it. That is, until they grow older. Just part of the cycle of life.

Posted: 18 November 2019 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

People are just giving a name to what has been going on forever. It is always underlying whether folks speak out about it or not. It seems natural for elders to feel they know more than the young, and the young will always resent it. That is, until they grow older. Just part of the cycle of life.

It is also “natural” for people to despise and discriminate against outsiders, and as a pacifist I have all my life been told that war is “natural” and we just all have to accept it.  I personally think it is our job as thinking and putatively civilized human beings to decide what’s good and try to stick with it rather than just roll with whatever is called “natural.” And I would remind you that slavery got defended in exactly the same way for most of human history.

Posted: 18 November 2019 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  402
Joined  2007-06-14
Dave Wilton - 18 November 2019 04:36 AM

What LH says is true. But the phrase is a reaction to the similar attacks on Millennials and other younger generations that have been continuous and common over the past few years.

I’ll take your word for this, though I haven’t seen it.  Curious curmudgeon that I am, I wonder just where such similar attacks have been taking place.  I don’t read People magazine, own a television, or listen to Faux Snooze very often.  Am I missing something?

Posted: 18 November 2019 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  878
Joined  2007-06-20

Baby boomers insult a member of the Greatest Generation:

https://youtu.be/h0WP8zGCqNs

This sort of inter-generational raillery has been going on, probably, for millennia, and I really wouldn’t get upset about it. Boomers called their parents squares: we can’t complaint if we get similar treatment in our turn.

Posted: 18 November 2019 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

Curious curmudgeon that I am, I wonder just where such similar attacks have been taking place.

Here’s a list.

Also, older folks, for some reason, often object to Millennials eating avocado toast. Why some people are obsessed with the eating habits of others is a mystery to me. (For the record, I’ve tried avocado toast and was unimpressed. Not bad, but I don’t get why it’s a thing. But I’m not judging. If you like it, have at it!)

Posted: 18 November 2019 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1383
Joined  2007-03-01

I’ve never read of anyone objecting to avocado toast; only of using it as a food stereotype, analogously to the way ‘roast beef and Yorkshire pudding’, ‘prawn-cocktail-and-Black-Forest-gateau’ ‘deep-fried Mars bars’, ‘collard greens’, and many others, have been and are used.

Posted: 18 November 2019 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  982
Joined  2013-10-14

Here’s a list.

Referring to the Decline of the Movie Industry, which is the number one item on that list, I would think that it’s arguable.  Keep in mind that the Motion Picture Association of America published the article; therefore, there might be a vested interest. The article states, “In 2016, more young people and diverse populations went to the movies.” That’s a misleading claim because the viewpoint is about young people between the ages of 18-24, (millennials) who are responsible for the decline in the movie industry; it does not refer to diverse populations. Because there has been a decline from 2009 when young people bought more movie tickets compared to 2016 when they bought less.

I am not familiar with the comic-book type films such as: Spider-Man, Iron Man, Batman, and Captain America et al. I find them redundantly puerile. Therefore, I can’t argue whether more young people go to those kinds of films; I must assume that they do. However, I rarely see young people at theaters where foreign films or mature independent adult films are showing. I just went to see, Ford v Ferrari, which I wouldn’t necessarily categorize as an extremely mature adult film, but the audience seemed to be mostly in their 50s to 70s, I did not observe anyone in their 20s.

Sadly, there is a decline in viewership for foreign and independent features. 
I must agree with Susan Sontag who lamented the death of cinephilia and the onset of an ignoble, irreversible decline. She wrote: “Cinema, once heralded as the art of the twentieth century, seemed at the end of the century a decadent and corrupt commercial form of entertainment.”

Posted: 19 November 2019 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

This sort of inter-generational raillery has been going on, probably, for millennia, and I really wouldn’t get upset about it. Boomers called their parents squares: we can’t complaint if we get similar treatment in our turn.

I take it you can’t imagine any real-world consequences of that sort of anger and contempt.  Perhaps you’re not aware there has been for a long time a push to get rid of Social Security, and it’s gaining strength.

Posted: 19 November 2019 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-03

Referring to the Decline of the Movie Industry, which is the number one item on that list, I would think that it’s arguable.

Here is the data for 2017, the nadir of movie theater attendance in the US. There is a link in the article to a PDF that gives the full breakdown.

In short, North American box office revenue has increased slightly over the last ten years. Ticket sales have declined slightly. The difference is made up by higher ticket prices.

Frequent movie goers (once a month or more) make up 48% of all ticket sales. Millennials, those in the 25–39 category, have the highest rates of frequent movie attendance. All age groups, save one, account for box office sales in proportion to their percent of the population. It is Boomers who go to the movies less often. Age group shares have held steady since 2012.

Men and women go to movies in equal numbers. Asians account for more box office than their total numbers would suggest. Other ethnic groups go to movies in proportion to their numbers in the population as a whole.

So Millennials are not to blame.

Other reasons I’ve seen proposed for the supposed decline:
--Streaming services are taking their audience
--Higher ticket prices make it less affordable, especially for families (i.e., those who are 25-39)
--The movies being made just aren’t that good
--Only the big-budget, visual-effects-heavy movies are worth the price/effort to go see
--Movie release dates conflict--all the big audience movies are released for summer or Oscar season and cannibalize each others’ audiences

Posted: 19 November 2019 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  572
Joined  2007-02-13

(Full disclosure: I’m a Boomer. But having been born in 1963, at the tail-end of the generation, I identify more with Gen Xers.)

Same here.

1 of 2

‹‹ Shine someone on      flipped transitivity ››