2 of 2
re-illiterate
Posted: 21 December 2007 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  362
Joined  2007-03-05

No the company name wasn’t given and I can’t find it on Jobserve the ad must be out of date now - ah well.

Posted: 21 December 2007 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1365
Joined  2007-01-29

the ability to re-illiterate technical documentations into basic documents

Again - what’s wrong with rewrite?  That’s what the author means.

Posted: 22 December 2007 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2007-02-14
ElizaD - 21 December 2007 11:45 PM

the ability to re-illiterate technical documentations into basic documents

Again - what’s wrong with rewrite?  That’s what the author means.

What’s wrong withe rewrite?  What would have been the point of bringing this ad to our attention if all it had to say for itself was a use of a greengrocer’s apostrophe?

Posted: 22 December 2007 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

You tell me.  But, in the light of your question, I now feel obliged to respond.

There was some discussion about the meaning of the sentence.  I’ve given a word that does the job.  My post had nothing to do with whether or not the sentence meant the opposite of what it said.  It was merely an attempt to give an adequate meaning.

I’ve decided to re-illiterate.  Which, ironically, is exactly what is happening in the advert.  As I think has been said.  What more to say about it?

Languagehat and others were wondering what the advert meant, and presumably therefore, what “re-illiterate” meant in the advert.  In this context, it means rewrite.  Substitute “rewrite” for “reilliterate” in the ad and it makes more sense, however badly worded the ad is.  Why use a long word when a short one will do?

My apologies if it makes for a less interesting discussion. 

:Unwords.com definition of re-illiterate:
1. (v.) To explain over and over, until the audience has no idea what you’re talking about.

the ability to re-illiterate technical documentations into basic documents for less technical body’s to understand

Posted: 22 December 2007 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2007-02-14

I’m sorry, Ms. D.  I completely misunderstood the point of your post.  Please accept my apology.

Posted: 24 December 2007 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-29

Forgiven and forgotten.  I’m full of Christmas spirits.

2 of 2