spell check shortcomings
Posted: 28 December 2007 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1286
Joined  2007-03-21

Margaret at Transblawg picked up this item from Legal Juice.  She quotes from this motion for continuance:

Plaintiff moves the court for a continuance of the trial for the reason that counsel for the plaintiff is recovering from dick surgery and because of continuing pain is unable to properly represent the plaintiff in a trial. Counsel is unable to sit for long periods of time.

The remainder of the legal motion that has the doctor’s explanation (pdf) of the specifics of disk herniation.

now back to our previously scheduled programming.

Posted: 28 December 2007 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2344
Joined  2007-01-30

That one is a gem!

Posted: 28 December 2007 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1286
Joined  2007-03-21

What I love about Margaret’s telling of the story is that she includes the sentence in the continuance, “Counsel is unable to sit for long periods of time.” which Legal Juice left out.  Obviously, Margaret knows how to tell a story.

All this puts me in mind of a most embarrassing moment in the city of Hannover three years ago.  I was staying with a lovely 70 something woman for a convention I was attending in downtown Hannover.  At the end of my stay we were going to meet at the Hannover train station to say our goodbyes and she said something like, “Wir treffen uns unter dem (unterm) Schwanz des Pferd.”

At that point in my shallow German, I only knew Schwanz to mean penis.  So I had this vacant stare.  So she elaborated by saying, “Auf dem Platz vor dem Bahnhof” (in the plaza in front of the train station).  I still had a vacant stare.  Did she really mean to suggest that we were to meet under the horse’s penis?

Then she summoned a word from the little English she knew and said, “Tail?”

I said, “Oh, Ja.  Gut.”

Posted: 29 December 2007 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2007-01-03

Another case of diegogarcity. I was just reading a thread of ADS-L messages about how blawg has become a term of art for a blog about legal matters, then along comes Oecolampadius with this cite from Transblawg.

‹‹ Money laundering      Movers and shakers ››