Poll
Which "theme" do you like best for the discussion forum?
Blue 2
Default 6
Developer 5
Shares 0
Total Votes: 13
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Forum Feature Requests
Posted: 27 February 2007 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4464
Joined  2007-01-03

The forum templates are very intricate and given that there are four different themes, most changes have to be made four different times in slightly different implementations each time.

So, I’m going to make a new theme that incorporates various changes people want in the way forums work. So list your feature requests in this thread.

And the responses to the poll will determine which theme I use as a base for the new theme.

Posted: 27 February 2007 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2738
Joined  2007-01-31

That would be good.  Even better would be having the arrow-labeled links at the bottom of each thread (by implication, the “next thread"/"previous thread” links) work on the basis of time-of-last-post, like they did on EZboard, rather than time-of-creation.  That would make it easier and quicker to work through the threads that had been added to since one’s last visit without having to constantly pop back up to the index level between threads.

Posted: 27 February 2007 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-02-22

Do we need the little boxes on the left-hand side that say “Old Topic” etc?  It appears they only say “New Topic” when there is a new post to an old topic, which is also indicated by the title being in bold.  With a genuinely new topic, they still say “Old Topic” once you have read the thread.

Posted: 27 February 2007 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1128
Joined  2007-02-14

Aside from my previous complaint about not knowing what is a new post I’ve got no problems.  I can’t vote in the poll because:

A) I have no idea what theme I’ve got

and

2) I have no idea how to change it.  I’ve looked under all the usual rocks and can find nothing that aids me.

Posted: 27 February 2007 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2221
Joined  2007-01-30

Yes, it’s the small box at the foot of the page. Mine has Default in it, as in the default scheme. Click on the arrow and the other options will appear.

Posted: 27 February 2007 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-02-17

I miss the ability to link to images and have them appear in the post. On the phpbb forums that I host on my websites, the images are automatically re-sized to preset size limits. By clicking on the image, a full-size version appears in a new window. Perhaps this feature is available here an I have yet to discover it.

Rich

Edit: Also, the link at the top of the page:

Forum Home > Wordorigins.org Discussion Forums > Meta Discussion > Thread

should appear at the bottom of the page, also. This would greatly facilitate navigation.

[ Edited: 27 February 2007 10:26 PM by HZ7N ]

Posted: 28 February 2007 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4464
Joined  2007-01-03

Do we need the little boxes on the left-hand side that say “Old Topic” etc?

If you make comments like this, please tell me what theme you’re using. Each one is different and without knowing the theme I have no clue where to look.

Posted: 02 March 2007 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-31

Given the aforementioned uselessness of the next/previous (in order of creation rather than most recent post) thread links at the bottom of each discussion page, and assuming that this cannot be fixed, I have another suggestion that would make reading through newly posted threads slightly simpler.  Currently, when you’ve read down to the end of a thread, you have to scroll back up to the top of the page to get to the link back to the thread index ("General Discussion”, “Meta Discussion”, etc.).  If that link also appeared at the bottom of the page, this would save some needless mousework.

Posted: 02 March 2007 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2007-01-28

I’m afraid I don’t even understand the question. What’s a theme? What are the four choices?

One thing I notice is when I click on the back button to go from a thread back to the discussion page, that page is not automatically refreshed as it was in the old forum. Not a big really deal.

Posted: 02 March 2007 08:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-31

"Themes” is a (rather inapt, IMHO) name for various choices as to how the pages appear, which have different background colors, minor differences in layout, and in some cases different information presented.  If you look at the bottom of this page, you’ll find, probably centered but possibly on the left, a small drop-down menu box, which will say either “Select a theme”, “Default”, “Blue”, “Developer”, or “Shares”.  The last four terms are the four choices.  Experimenting by choosing them in sequence will make it clearer what “themes” are and what the choices are like.  IMHO all of them are rather less attractive than the graphic look that Dave had created over on EZboard, but OTOH you do get a choice here.

Posted: 03 March 2007 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1128
Joined  2007-02-14
jimgorman - 02 March 2007 08:25 PM

theme.png
BTW the little blue and orange boxes (in developer) allow you to subscribe to the RSS and ATOM feeds which are still—in my view—the best way to get the newest messages.

I click on either one and I get a geek-friendly error message, a different one for each choice.  Default.

Firefox 1.5.0.4
Linux Ubuntu 5.10

Posted: 03 March 2007 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  155
Joined  2007-01-28

Thanks, Rev and Dr.T, I’ve found it.

IMHO: “Shares” isn’t bad but has a kind of hominess to it that probably wouldn’t serve the forum well because it doesn’t create a strong impression. “Developer” has a ‘gray-bar hotel’ (prison) look. “Blue” makes me feel as if I’ve woken up from a nightmare about being in an insane asylum only to find myself actually in one. “Default” is solid and respectable and has a nice counterpoint between the slate blue, indigo and muted lavender schemes.

In my experience with colors, people usually tend towards either the warmer or cooler ends of the spectrum. Some people love earthtones and some love bright, unambiguous colors. It’s difficult to please everybody. However, I agree with the Dr.T that the old scheme was very good. Most often, designers are looking for a set of colors that has the lowest offensiveness factor rather than the highest pleasing factor. One trick is to add a nice complementary color rather than having it weighted to one side of the spectrum. Apparently that isn’t an option here.

[ Edited: 03 March 2007 08:31 AM by foolscap ]

Posted: 03 March 2007 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-30

This may have been mentioned; if so, I’d like to emphasize it. On Ezboard, clicking Post Reply brought up a reply box and, immediately underneath, the previous post. If one clicked Reply to earlier posts (each posting had its own reply button) one had the advantage of seeing the whole thread from that post onwards underneath the reply box. Most useful for refreshing memory.

On this board we have only the general Reply button, which brings up an isolated reply box. Of course, there is Fast Reply which would at least leave you with the present page of the thread, but at the cost of sacrificing the bells and whistles. Any way of reverting to the Ezboard style?

Posted: 04 March 2007 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  590
Joined  2007-02-22
Dave Wilton - 28 February 2007 06:41 AM

Do we need the little boxes on the left-hand side that say “Old Topic” etc?

If you make comments like this, please tell me what theme you’re using. Each one is different and without knowing the theme I have no clue where to look.

Sorry, “Developer”

Edit:  I’ve just noticed that topic with new posts since I last read them are no longer highlighted in the “Meta Discussion” forum, but that doesn’t seem a problem in the “General Discussion” forum.  Anyone else having this problem?

[ Edited: 04 March 2007 08:47 AM by bayard ]

Posted: 05 March 2007 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-30

I thought, to be fair, I should give each theme a day’s use to see if any grew on me. I’ve done that now and the only firm conclusions I reached were that none of them were a perfect fit for me and Shares was the hardest to live with. It was the last I tried and I’ve now gone back to Default with an overwhelming sense of relief. Until a better design comes along, I’ll stick with the Default scheme.