Scorification
Posted: 13 January 2008 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2228
Joined  2007-01-30

Just saw an excerpt from the new Daniel Day Lewis movie causing all the awards buzz, There Will Be Blood. He’s a prospector (oil, I believe) and one sees him taking a rock sample to the assay office. Here we get a close-up of a Scorification Certificate. Dismissing the wayward thought that this was Pentagonese out of place and time and signified score or scoring, I turned to OED.

Scorification, n

The process of reducing to scoria; formation of scoria or slag; spec. as a method of refining or assay.

Moving on to scoria I find:

Scoria (prefaced with the symbol for ‘not naturalized, alien (not used in New Edition entries)’)

1. The slag or dross remaining after the smelting out of a metal from its ore. Also transf.

Interestingly it comes from the Greek word for dung, skor.  It’s very true (adopting unconvincing Yorkshire accent). ‘Where there’s muck there’s brass!’

Posted: 13 January 2008 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1885
Joined  2007-02-19

The Escorial, the great monastery/palace north of Madrid built at the orders of King Philip II of Spain, gets its name from the slag-heaps of old iron mines in the Guadarrama mountains.

Posted: 13 January 2008 12:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2228
Joined  2007-01-30

That’s fascinating! I would never have made the connection.

Posted: 13 January 2008 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3335
Joined  2007-01-29

Me neither.  Thanks, lionello!