Hip Dude
Posted: 25 January 2008 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  444
Joined  2007-10-20

This really started when a local radio personality posed the question of where “hippie” comes from. I thought, of course Herb Caen always claimed to be the original coiner of the word. I couldn’t find any authoritative discussion or cites in a cursory glance through Word Detective and ADS. No Big List entry here. Perhaps it’s just too obvious a derivative of “hip.” But I’d have to take issue with AHD and others that “aware” of fashion or meaning (hip to the jive) is the central defining feature. Maybe it was so at the beginning of the word usage, but in my lifetime the concept of hip has meant more being at the cutting edge and embodying the spirit of something that always recognized but never explicable. Not that I know from personal experience.*

Dude of course is another etymological hobbyhorses, but I wonder if it’s ever been connected with “duds” as in clothing?

*I am certainly “aware” of fashion and meaning, but few have ever accused me of being hip.

[ Edited: 25 January 2008 09:39 AM by Iron Pyrite ]

Posted: 25 January 2008 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2841
Joined  2007-01-31

Previous discussions on “hip” and “hippie”:
origin of the word hippie
hip, hep
hep or hip?

Posted: 25 January 2008 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2335
Joined  2007-01-30

And, for good measure, duds and dude.

Duds
Dude

Posted: 25 January 2008 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-31

And while we’re at it, dud.

Posted: 05 November 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1276
Joined  2007-03-21

Metcalf at Chronicle of Higher Education summarizes the recent discoveries of Popik and Gerald Cohen here. I’m dredging up this old thread to show that none of those links provided by Aldi and Dr T above are working. They seem to redirect to their home page. And a search on Yuku’s homepage for “wordorigins” goes to a selection of categories. Am I doing something wrong?

The links are to ezboard which was the name of the old site before Yuku.

Here is one of them. started by aldi.

the url needs to begin with http://wordoriginsorg.yuku.com/ rather than ezboard, I guess.

[ Edited: 05 November 2013 11:13 AM by Oecolampadius ]

Posted: 05 November 2013 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-31

Yes, but simply manually altering the URL to include that beginning won’t yield a working URL, alas.

The connection to “Yankee Doodle Dandy” is new to me, but plausible, especially considering that a “dude” and “dandy” were synonymous (in the “fop” sense).  Thanks for posting.

Posted: 05 November 2013 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  236
Joined  2007-02-23

Here is Slate’s latest on dude: Dude: Etymology of the word is traced to “doodle,” as in Yankee Doodle Dandy.. I don’t think there is anything there that has not already been mentioned here. Even the link to: The Chronicle of Higher Education

[I realize that is all redundant.  I just wanted to see if my Firefox link creator works.]

‹‹ Slang City      No love lost ››